Festive Fundraising Ideas
We know Christmas and the festive period will be different this year, but there are plenty of ways in which you can still support us over the festive season.
Here are some top tips for getting in the festive spirit and making a difference today, while keeping socially distanced and looking after your mental health.
Connect – one of the five ways to wellbeing
With many of us in isolation and with social distancing strongly advised, it is important that we stay connected with our network of family, friends or colleagues.
- Festive virtual quiz or party
Use Zoom, Skype or WhatsApp to host a festive themed virtual pub quiz or party. Set up a Virgin Money Giving page and ask your guests to make a donation to take part.
Take Notice – one of the five ways to wellbeing
Even at this difficult time you can still take some time to enjoy the moment and the environment around you.
- Ebay your clutter away before Christmas. Now is a good opportunity to declutter, and working through your possessions is a chance to remember memories associated with them. You can sell books (with ISBN numbers), games (except PC games), DVDs and CDs via a Virgin Money Giving page. Alternatively, you can sell your clutter on Ebay, or go to a website like Music Magpie, which will give you cash in return for your old CDs and DVDs and donate the money you make to Mind in Brent, Wandsworth and Westminster.
Be Active – one of the five ways to wellbeing
Regular physical activity doesn’t have to be outside for you to feel the benefits to your wellbeing.
- Virtual Christmas dance or music evening? It could be a zumba lesson, a dance party with your friends or a Christmas party. One person makes a playlist and can share their audio over Zoom or other platforms where you can host a livestream event.
Who said Festivals can only be in the summer? We can now host online Festivals from our own home, and if you love Christmas songs, you could organise a Christmas Carol or Christmas music festival.
To fundraise you can open a Virgin Money Giving page and share the link to ask people who attend to donate.
- Santa Walk or Run
Spread some Christmas cheer by challenging family and friends around the country to pull on a Santa hat and run or walk a festive 5k. If you use Strava, you can link your account to your Virgin Money Giving page so your sponsors can see your achievements. Why not try drawing a Christmassy shape with your running route?
Learn – one of the five ways to wellbeing
Learning something new has been strongly associated with higher levels of wellbeing.
- Online tutorials
Share your skills with others through online tutorials. You could do cooking, a foreign language or flower arranging.
Why not host a decoration making workshops for Christmas time?
Ask for a donation in exchange for sharing your skills, which can be donated on your Virgin Money Giving page.
Give – one of the five ways to wellbeing
Research into actions that promote happiness has shown that committing an act of kindness once a week, over a six-week period, is associated with an increase in wellbeing.
- Donations instead of sending Christmas cards? Instead of posting out cards this year, make a donation to Mind in Brent, Wandsworth and Westminster.
- Making Christmas gifts in exchange for donations
Have your baking skills improved over lockdown or do you have a skill for making gifts? Can you sell your creations to friends and family who will give them as gifts this Christmas? Set up a Virgin Money Giving page to sell your unique items and make sure you follow social distancing rules when delivering.
We’d love to hear from you if you try any of these ideas out. Share them with us on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook. If you need any help getting started email Community and Digital Fundraiser Jess Wright on [email protected]
Thank you for your support. It is thanks to fundraisers like you, we’re here to make sure anyone with a mental health problem gets the support they need to recover.