About the service
We provide the student counselling services for London South Bank University. This is a short term integrative service, operating a strict 6 session model. This is the only service that we are able to take trainee counsellors on for a placement.
We adopt an integrative approach to working with clients and therefore counsellors/trainees from all theoretical backgrounds are welcomed.
The clinical work
Client work can be demanding as a number of our clients present at the moderate/severe end of the clinical spectrum. Their issues are often complex and include: sexual and physical abuse (in childhood and as adults); trauma/PTSD, anxiety, depression, self-harm, personality disorders, refugee status and low income. We need counsellors who are comfortable dealing with a range of sensitive issues. Please note that we work with clients who have varying levels of need.
Due to the complexity of our client group, some direct face to face clinical experience working as a therapist is required to undertake a placement with us.
We do not consider work shadowing to be appropriate clinical experience to be considered as direct clinical experience unless you have conducted therapy sessions yourself.
Each Honorary Counsellor will see 3 clients and will need to maintain a set period in the week when they counsel them.
Level of training/qualification required
- You must be in an ongoing training to Diploma level or above on a BACP/UKCP/BPS recognised counselling/ psychotherapy/counselling psychology training programme, or satisfy the equivalent professional criteria. At the very least you must be in or about to start your second year of training.
We would expect you to have some clinical face to face counselling experience
- You must have completed your training course (minimum Diploma level) – but can have outstanding paperwork and/or clinical hours to obtain.
- If still in training, then you must be in weekly therapy throughout the duration of your placement. You must also have at least 40 hours of personal therapy; or
- If you have completed your training and have a minimum of 100 hours’ personal therapy, then you do not have to be in therapy while on placement with us. However, you must have access to therapy should the work with clients require that you explore your own material. And in some circumstances we may ask you to go into therapy.
- Fortnightly in a group format (1 supervisor to 4 honorary counsellors).
- Held on Wednesdays at 5:30 pm or 7:30pm for 2 hours.
- We have clinical responsibility for supervision and take the lead in any clinical work.
- While you may take your clinical work to your training course supervision, you may not take it to any other supervision (this includes private). However, if you require additional supervision hours to meet course/professional requirements you may seek additional private supervision with a Supervisor approved by our service.
Essential need to know about our placement
- You will have a case load of 3 clients in once-weekly individual counselling.
- You will be asked to see clients for the service – short term intervention (6 sessions)
- Client sessions may be audio taped with the prior agreement of the client.
- You will need to attend our mandatory training day on ‘Risk’, for which you will receive a certificate of attendance.
- You need to attend at least two counselling service meetings in a year (rolling year) on an evening during the week
- You need to complete administrative duties in connection with your client work and connected with your placement.
- We will provide references after you have been with us for 6 months. We will also complete course reports.
- We provide Professional Indemnity insurance for the duration of your placement with us.
- You will be required to have a DBS check. We can carry out the process for you. If you are registered on the online DBS Update Service, then we would accept this and would not need to carry out a check.
- With the introduction of the ISA, you may be expected to provide proof you are registered.
- You will be expected to commit to a 2-year placement with us, should you chose to leave before that time, we reserve to right to not sign off your placement hours with us.
We recruit Honorary Counsellors rolling basis. Recruitment takes the form of an application form and interview with one of the clinical leadership team.