Green Minds is all about improving mental health and wellbeing by developing a stronger mutually supportive relationship between people and nature.
Through this programme, we will learn about how to help nature thrive by creating natural habitats that support a wide variety of plants and wildlife, and we will explore a range of natural spaces to help us feel more connected to nature.
About the project
The Royal Parks charity will deliver monthly workshops across their parks, offering an escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. These workshops will focus on nature and wellbeing, be held outdoors, and include activities that provide an opportunity to learn about and improve London’s biodiversity whilst having fun. Activities will include:
- Learning about our oldest residents such as trees and our newest including birds and mammals.
- Bird spotting across our lakes using binoculars.
- Drawing the nature that surrounds and inspires us, whilst actively listening to the environment around us.
- Creating art through natural materials found in our parks, including making cyanotypes, an art form that is one of the oldest photographic processes.
- Taking a stroll through our colourful rose gardens and exploring our wilder woodlands.
All tools and equipment will be provided, and no experience needed.
Read more about the project here.
The benefits of connecting with nature:
Connecting with nature is so important and vital in keeping us emotionally, psychologically and physically healthy. Spending time in green spaces can have lots of positive effects. It can:
- Increase feelings of calmness
- Increase endorphin levels and dopamine production (promotes happiness)
- Restore capacity for concentration and attention
- Reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Reduce irritability
- Lower blood pressure and reduce cortisol (stress hormone)
- Improve physical health
- Improve confidence and self-esteem
- Help you meet new people and reduce feelings of isolation
- Help you connect with your local community
- Help you feel more connected to nature
When does Green Minds meet?
Green Minds is a monthly programme running from April to December. Dates to be announced soon!
Participants are encouraged to attend all of the sessions to achieve maximum benefit from the programme.
Who is it for?
Green Minds is open to anyone aged 18 or over who has experience of mental health issues and would like to improve their wellbeing by connecting with nature.
All participants will need to be registered as a member of Brent, Wandsworth and Westminster Community Programmes.
To Register, Refer or Find Out More
Email: [email protected]
Or register your interest using the online form and a member of our team will be in touch to complete your enrolment.