The service is a single point of contact providing practical support to individuals, families and others bereaved and affected by suicide. It can also refer on to other appropriate services. Referrals are initially received from the Police via The Thrive Hub database.
An initial contact is made with the bereaved to offer:
- 1:1 support
- provision of relevant information including Help at Hand booklet
- provision of Beyond the Rough Rock booklet for children
- signposting to bereavement support organisations, peer support groups and/ or mental health services for counselling/support
- an offer of advocacy and liaison support during inquests or related meetings that may be part of the process following the suicide
- long-term support to contacts with the service, working closely with existing bereavement services and other agencies to support individuals and families
The service has two Suicide Postvention Officers in NW London and one officer in SW London.